Our Local History

1819-2015

The history of our church begins in 1660 with everyone worshipping in Springfield.   A Congregational Church was organized in Feeding Hills, and sometime around 1799 the Agawam parish sold its rights to the Feeding Hills Members. At this time the Agawam members purchased a house in Suffield, CT, and had it moved by oxen to the Agawam Commons. At this point it was shared by the Baptists. In 1819, six men and seven women established the Agawam Congregational Church. In 1845 the church was moved 100 feet east to its present location. Since 1969 many changes have occurred to the building. In 1905 a pipe organ was given by the Fowler family. Due to termite damage in 1967 the sanctuary was torn down and rebuilt with the entrance relocated to the side of the building. Major renovations were undertaken in 1996; in 1999 the organ was completely rebuilt with new pipes being added and the parsonage was completely renovated in 2000. Air conditioning was installed in the sanctuary in 2004. Twenty-two ministers have served our Congregation, and in 2019 we hope to celebrate our 200th anniversary.